Strauss-Kahn to be confronted by French attempted rape accuser
Dominique Strauss-Kahn will be confronted with the French writer who has accused him of attempting to rape her eight years ago, French prosecutors said Friday, dpa reported.
In a short statement the Paris prosecutors' office said it had decided to "proceed with a confrontation between Tristane Banon and Dominique Strauss-Kahn".
Lawyers for the former International Monetary Fund (IMF) chief told LCI television he had been briefed on the prosecutors' decision and that he "remained at their disposal."
Banon said earlier this week she wanted to meet Strauss-Kahn so that he could deny her claim that he tried to rape her during a 2003 interview in a Paris apartment "straight to her face".
In a French television interview Sunday Strauss-Kahn again denied the allegations, insisting there had been "no act of aggression, no violence" during the meeting.
He describes her version of events as "imaginary."
In July, Banon filed a lawsuit, formally accusing him of attempted rape.
Strauss-Kahn was questioned by police in connection with the affair shortly after his return to France from New York earlier this month, but no charges have been formulated so far.
Experts say Banon will find it difficult to prove attempted rape eight years after the alleged attack.
In New York, Strauss-Kahn was charged with attempting to rape a hotel maid. After three months US prosecutors dropped the charges, saying that, while there was evidence of a hurried sexual encounter, they had doubts about the credibility of his accuser.