Death toll of Sudan protests rises to 24
The death toll in Sudan's protests has risen to 24, said Amer Mohamed Ibrahim, head of a Sudanese government fact-finding committee in charge of investigating the recent protests in Sudan, Trend reported citing Xinhua.
The Attorney General in Sudan Omer Ahmed Mohamed received reports from the head of the higher committee and heads of the states' committees to follow the investigations on the recent protests in Gadarif, Nahral-Neel, White Nile, Khartoum and Northern States, said Ibrahim at a press conference in Khartoum.
He urged the citizens to cooperate and provide their testimonies that may help in the ongoing investigations on the deaths of the people.
Ibrahim further reiterated continuation of the investigation on the reports of death, injury and destruction.
He noted that the investigation committees demand the relatives of the victims or the lawyers to provide statements that may help in the investigation process.
On Dec. 31 last year, Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir issued a decree to form a fact-finding committee to investigate the recent protests in Sudan.
Since Dec. 19, 2018, various areas in Sudan, including Khartoum, have been witnessing popular protests over the deteriorating economic conditions and price hikes of basic commodities.