Azerbaijan, Baku, Aug. 1/ Trend N. Umid, S. Isayev
The first asylum-seekers group which included 40 Iranian and Afghan refugees, has been sent to Papua New Guinea from Australia, according to country's new refugee policy, IRIB News reported.
If the cases of refugees are approved by the local government, they will be allowed to stay in New Guinea.
Australian government has announced on July 19 that illegal migrants which enter Australia by boat will not be tolerated, and will be sent to Papua New Guinea or their homeland, the report said.
Australian Immigration Minister Tony Burke previously said that this shows that Australia is serious to prevent the influx of refugees into its territory.
On July 24, an asylum-seeker boat sank off West Java, claiming at least four lives. The boat reportedly carried more than 200 asylum-seekers believed to be from Iran, Iraq and Sri Lanka.
On July 22, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hassan Ghashghavi said Iran will pursue repression against Iranian refugees in Australia, noting that Iran is against mandatory deportation of its citizens.
According to the reports, hundreds of asylum seekers including Palestinian, Iraqi, Lebanese, Iranian and Sudanese in Nauru Island refugee camp, who protested against slow process of refugee determination and hardening of asylum laws, were attacked by police On July 20.
Some 125 asylum seekers were in police custody on Nauru after the riot ended with fire destroying most of an Australian-run detention center there.
The remaining 420 asylum seekers have been transferred to a second detention camp under construction at another part of the tiny atoll that is home to fewer than 10,000. They are now living in tents, AP reported.
Follow us on Twitter @TRENDNewsAgency