FMs of Russia, France, US preparing joint statement on situation around Karabakh
BAKU, Azerbaijan, Oct. 5
Russia, the US, and France are preparing a joint statement by the foreign ministers on the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said, Trend reports citing TASS.
“At present, we’re preparing a statement by the FMs of the three countries, but, of course, we need to think not only about statement but about those specific steps that can be taken to end the bloodshed and still return the situation to negotiations,” the minister said.
Armenian Armed Forces launched a large-scale military attack on positions of the Azerbaijani army on the front line, using large-caliber weapons, mortars, and artillery on Sept. 27.
Azerbaijan responded with a counter-offensive along the entire front. As a result of retaliation, Azerbaijani troops liberated a number of territories previously occupied by Armenia, as well as take important, strategic heights under control.
The fighting continued into October 2020, in the early days of which Armenia launched missile attacks on Azerbaijani cities of Ganja, Mingachevir, Khizi as well as Absheron district.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the withdrawal of its armed forces from Nagorno Karabakh and the surrounding districts.