Iran rejects IRGC general’s assassination during explosion in Syria
Azerbaijan, Baku, July 22/Trend, corr. D.Khatinoglu/
Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC / Sepah) rejected association of the head of Quds Force an elite branch of IRGC during bomb explosion in Damascus on last Wednesday which lead to death of Syrian Defense Minister Dawoud Rajiha, Deputy Defense Minister Assef Shawkat, and Assistant Vice President Hassan Turkmani.
The bomb attach wes occured on the headquarters of the National Security Bureau in the Syrian capital, Damascus.
Interior Minister Mohammad Ibrahim al-Sha'ar and National Security chief General Hisham Bakhtiar were wounded in the attack.
IRGC's spokespesian Lieutenant Ramazan Sharif rejected media reports about the death of Commander of Iran's Quds Force Qassem Soleimani during an interview with Alalam TV.
Deputy Quds Force commander Ismail Ghaani was quoted on May 27 by ISNA as saying that "Thanks to Iran's presence in Syria-- physically and nonphysically-- big massacres were prevented."
Brigadier General Ghaani said that the Quds Force had had an "effective" presence in Syria.
Syria has been experiencing unrest ever since March 2011.
Earlier, Annan accused the Syrian government of violating his plan to end the bloodshed in the country by using heavy weaponry on civilian areas.
"This is in violation of the government's undertaking to cease the use of heavy weapons in populated centres and its commitment to the six-point plan ... I condemn these atrocities in the strongest possible terms," Annan said in Geneva.
Annan's plan accepted by Damascus earlier this year, calls for withdrawing military troops and hardware from urban areas and giving access to humanitarian services.
The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said 750,000 internally displaced Syrians and more than 103,000 Syrian refugees in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and other Middle East countries were in need of help.
Western nations have proposed a Security Council resolution that would impose sanctions on Assad for not ending the use of heavy weapons in the conflict which the opposition says has left more than 17,000 people dead.