Georgia sees increase in potato exports

Georgia Materials 11 October 2021 11:26 (UTC +04:00)

BAKU, Azerbaijan, Oct. 11

By Maryana Akhmedova – Trend:

Georgia saw increase in potato exports in September 2021 due to shortage of in the neighboring countries, Trend reports, citing the EastFruit statistics.

Georgia exported about 6,200 tons of potatoes in September 2021, of which 83 percent were exported to Russia and Azerbaijan, and the remaining 17 percent were exported to Ukraine, Moldova, Armenia and Slovenia. Russia accounted for 45 percent of the total exports.

The major importers in September 2021 were:

Russia - up to 3,000 tons - 1 ton - $430/1 ton;

Azerbaijan - up to 2,500 tons - $130/1 ton;

Ukraine - more than 500 tons - $120/1 ton;

Moldova - more than 250 tons - $100/1 ton;

Armenia - up to 250 tons - $280/1 ton.

According to EastFruit, Russia's increased demand for a new crop of Georgian potatoes is due to heavy rains, which make it difficult to harvest potatoes in Russia, so local supplies are very limited. All this leads to an increase in potato prices and the need for imports into the Russian market.

“Russia is trying to keep prices down, which should attract more potato exports from Georgia, because the average potato price in Georgia is 38 percent lower than in Russia,” EastFruit said.

However, this leads to an increase in potato prices for Georgian consumers. The average price for potatoes in Georgia had increased by 90 percent from July through August 2021, compared to the same period of 2020.

The average price increased from 29 cents to 32 cents from September 24 through October 1.


Follow the author on Twitter: @mariiiakhm