Egypt partially reopens some beaches days after shark attacks
Some beaches along Egypt's popular southern Sinai Peninsula were partially reopened on Tuesday after a string of shark attacks had forced them to close, officials said, DPA reported.
A number of beaches around the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh were reopened, but only to licensed divers, said Mohamed Shawsha, governor of south Sinai.
Beaches in the area were ordered closed for the second time in less than week on Sunday, when a German woman was attacked and killed by a shark near the shore at Sharm el-Sheikh.
Four tourists were injured in shark attacks in Sharm el-Sheikh last week, prompting the government to close beaches from Wednesday until Saturday.
Large numbers of tourists have left the area as a result of the attacks and the ensuing beach closures.
The partially reopened beaches have been found to be free of sharks by search teams, which include Egyptian, American, and Australian experts, security sources said.
The number of recent shark attacks is unusual for Sinai, a popular diving and vacation destination.
In a bit of gallows humour, vendors in Sharm el-Sheikh are now selling colourful T-shirts showing a shark and the caption, "How 'bout lunch?" Sales were reported to be brisk.