Germany pulls out of NATO operations in Mediterranean
Germany has pulled out of NATO operations in the Mediterranean on Tuesday, the defence ministry said, following the military alliance's involvement in the Libya conflict.
A ministry spokesman said two frigates and two other ships with a crew of 550 would be revert to German command, dpa reported.
Some 60 to 70 German troops participating in NATO-operated Awacs surveillance operations in the Mediterranean would be withdrawn, the ministry said.
NATO had earlier begun a naval operation to enforce the UN- Security Council authorized arms embargo against Libya.