Egypt Army denies deal with ousted Mubarak
Egypt's military Supreme Council, which is temporarily governing the country, denied media reports on Wednesday about a secret agreement with ousted President Hosni Mubarak on letting him leave the country, RIA Novosti reported.
Media reports in Egypt and other Arab countries occasionally suggest Mubarak left the country for medical treatment to Saudi Arabia or Germany, but Egyptian authorities have continually refuted the information.
"Egypt's Armed Forces operate exclusively in the interests of the Egyptian people," military spokesman General Mohsen el-Fangari told a news conference in Alexandria on Wednesday in response to ongoing disputes in the country on the fate of Mubarak, who ruled the country for 42 years.
El-Fangari said everyone who harmed the country would be held responsible and added the army had banned private flights to prevent Mubarak from flying abroad as soon as they took governing powers.
Mubarak stepped down on February 11 after two weeks of protests. Since then, neither he nor his family have been seen in public. The authorities said they have been living in their Red Sea residence in Sharm el-Sheikh.
On Friday, demonstrators in Cairo demanded a trial of Mubarak and wanted money on his foreign accounts to be returned to the country.
Some media reports suggest Mubarak's family owns tens of billions of dollars but no documentary evidence has been provided.
Egypt's top prosecutor banned Mubarak and his family from leaving the country on February 28 on corruption suspicions. His property has been confiscated and financial assets in Egypt and abroad have been frozen.