A car bomber has struck outside a Nato base in the Afghan capital Kabul, injuring three foreign soldiers and three Afghan civilians, officials say.
The bomber targeted a coalition vehicle near Camp Phoenix, where Afghan forces are trained, Afghan officials said,BBC reported
The Taliban said it carried out the suicide bombing.
British officials have meanwhile suggested a reconciliation between the Afghan government and parts of the Taliban leadership within two years.
Ministers have previously talked of the need for the reintegration of Taliban foot soldiers and local commanders.
But a memo seen by the BBC recommends a wider dialogue within a specific time-frame of two years - including a settlement between the Afghan government and parts of the Quetta Shura, the Taliban's governing body.
The document is believed to be one of a number written by foreign governments providing advice to Afghan President Hamid Karzai's administration as it prepares for its second term in office, BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera reports.
Parts of the memo have been obtained by the BBC, including a call to reduce the insurgency by a combination of military pressure and offering an honourable exit from the fight to the Taliban, he says.
Included in the proposed action plan are the removal of reconciled Taliban leaders from the UN sanctions list within six months.
UK 'seeks more troops'
Meanwhile, UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown told the BBC that he was hopeful he would be able to persuade countries both in and outside Nato to send 5,000 more military personnel to Afghanistan.
The UK has about 9,000 service personnel there and Mr Brown has said he is willing to send another 500, but only if others provide their "fair share".
Mr Brown said UK strategy was "very much in line" with that of the US, where President Barack Obama is due to make a decision on whether to deploy a significant number of extra troops.
The US has some 68,000 troops in Afghanistan, among a coalition force of more than 100,000.
The top US and Nato commander in Afghanistan, Gen Stanley McChrystal, has urged an injection of about 40,000 more troops, triggering a lengthy debate over possible reinforcements.
The US ambassador in Kabul has warned against a large troop surge, expressing concerns about corruption and poor governance under President Hamid Karzai.
In a leaked message to the White House during the past week, Ambassador Karl Eikenberry - a former top military commander in Afghanistan - reportedly said it was "not a good idea" to send substantially more soldiers.
Reports say Friday's blast on the Kabul-Jalalabad road was followed by small arms fire. The area was sealed off by Western and Afghan forces.
Nabi, a taxi driver, told the Associated Press that he heard a "big bang" as he was driving down the road.
"Everything went dark," he said. "I just managed to take myself out of the area. I don't know what happened then, but the attack was on the foreigners."
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the group claimed responsibility for the attack.