...

Guinean president confirms attack on his residence

Other News Materials 19 July 2011 17:16
Guinean President Alpha Conde has confirmed the attack that occurred at his residence on Tuesday morning.
Guinean president confirms attack on his residence

Guinean President Alpha Conde has confirmed the attack that occurred at his residence on Tuesday morning, Xinhua reported.

The attack which was carried out by heavily armed assailants left one of the presidential guards dead.

While speaking on national radio, Conde affirmed that his residence was hit by a rocket launched by the assailants.

"The presidential guards managed to push away the attackers but one of the soldiers was killed in the fighting that ensued," Conde said.

Well placed sources indicated that the attack which was suspected to have been carried out by some disgruntled soldiers, begun at 3:00 a.m (local time).

For almost two hours, the heavy exchange of fire was heard in Kipe district near the residence of the Guinean president.

Residents who spoke to Xinhua said that calm has been restored but there was heavy police presence in the whole town.

Entry to "November 8 bridge" and the business hub of Kaloum have been sealed off and it's only pick-ups full of soldiers that are patrolling these zones.

Alpha Conde was elected as president of Guinea in November last year and he promised to bring changes to the country.

Latest

Latest