Turkish president’s visit to China canceled
Baku, Azerbaijan, May 14
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
Turkish President Abdullah Gul has canceled his visit to China, Turkish TRT Haber TV channel reported on May 14.
On May 15, Gul will visit the country's Manisa province where the mine explosion occurred.
Turkey has announced a three day mourning period for victims of the mining accident, the Turkish Cabinet of Ministers reported on May 14.
Turkish flags will fly at half mast in the country, as well as in all the diplomatic missions for the three day mourning period, according to the report.
Some 205 people were killed in the mine accident in Manisa province.
The Turkish Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources does not have accurate data on the number of workers who were in the mine at the time of the explosion, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Taner Yildiz said on May 14.
The previously published data on the number of workers in the mine at the time of the accident was provided by the head of the mine and could not been confirmed by the ministry.
The minister added that some 370 people have been rescued as part of rescue operations.
He said that at present work is underway to rescue more miners.
However, few chances remain to rescue the miners, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources Taner Yildiz said earlier.
The mine has burst into flame and although the miners have few chances for survival, the rescuers will do everything possible, the minister stressed.
Most of the miners died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Edited by C.N.