Kazakhstan to allocate over $5B for rural infrastructure development

Business Materials 6 November 2019 17:35 (UTC +04:00)

BAKU, Azerbaijan, Nov.6

By Nargiz Sadikhova - Trend:

Kazakhstan will implement 452 infrastructure projects worth 30 billion tenge ($77.1 million) in 51 settlements of the country, Kazakhstan’s Deputy Prime Minister Roman Sklyar said, Trend reports with reference to the press office of Kazakh prime minister.

According to Sklyar, country’s rural infrastructure will be upgraded through existing state programs and the Aul – El Besigi project, rural entrepreneurship will be supported as part of the existing agro-industrial development programs, Business Road Map–2020, Enbek and others.

He noted that 3,477 villages with development potential have been selected already where 6.6 million people or 85 percent of the rural population live in these villages, the development of which will be a priority.

“Significant funds are required to comprehensively solve existing problems in these villages. According to preliminary estimates, 900 billion tenge is necessary ($2.3 billion) and it is proposed to allocate 70 percent from the republican budget, and the remaining 30 percent from local budgets. Distribution of these funds is to be finished before 2027,” Sklyar informed.

He noted that in terms of infrastructure modernization, the first positive results are observed already.

“We will continue this work in 2020. A large-scale modernization of rural infrastructure will begin in all regions of the country. Additional 50 billion tenge ($128.5 million) will be allocated in 2020,” Sklyar said.

In general, allocated funds are to provide for implementation of 1,641 projects in 250 villages.

The ongoing infrastructure modernization will give a new impetus to the development of the rural economy.

With an idea of effective implementation of the proposed measures, a draft Republican Road Map has been developed.

“Overall, financing together with agro-industrial complex development programs, Businass Road Map–2020, Enbek, construction and repair of local roads will amount to more than two trillion tenge ($5.1 billion) by 2027,” Sklyar said.

In general, the whole range of measures will ensure further dynamic development of villages, which will positively affect the country's economy.


Follow the author on twitter: @nargiz_sadikh