Europe doubts about Iran's readiness to export gas by Nabucco pipeline
Azerbaijan, Baku, Oct. 6 / Trend A.Badalova /
Partners on the implementation of the European pipeline project doubt in Iran's readiness to start exporting its gas through Nabucco.
Hungary's Special Envoy for Nabucco Mihály Bayer said that "in principle" Nabucco may transport [...] Iranian gas, but the question is: May Iran transport its gas and if it has any power to become a gas supplier for this project."
According to Bayer, Iran faces the difficulties to meet gas demand in the domestic market, not mentioning the export.
According to BP, in 2008 the Iranian gas consumption reached 117.6 billion cubic meters (per year) compared to 51.8 billion cubic meters in 1998.
"Now, the situation in Iran is that the political situation does not allow international companies to participate in the development of the fields in this country," Bayer said at the Center for Strategic Studies under the Azerbaijani President in Baku on Oct.6.
According to the Envoy, Azerbaijan and Iraq are expected to supply the first gas for the Nabucco pipeline. The Turkmen gas will be connected at the second stage.
Azerbaijan will become an important partner for the EU and will always be a reliable gas supplier to Europe. The Nabucco project will bring significant benefits to Azerbaijan, Bayer added.
The Nabucco project worth 7.9 billion euro will deliver Azerbaijani and Central Asian gas to the EU. Nabucco shareholders are the Austrian OMV, Hungarian MOL, Bulgarian Bulgargaz, Romanian Transgaz, Turkish Botas and German RWE with 16.67 percent each. Construction of the pipeline is expected to begin in 2011 and the first supplies - in 2014. Its maximum capacity will be 31 billion cubic meters per year. An investment solution on the project will be made in the first quarter of 2010. The Nabucco Gas Pipeline International will invest 30 percent of the project on basis of its share. The remaining 70 percent will be provided by international institutions.
Do you have any feedback? Contact our journalist at: firstname.lastname@example.org