An Indian national was apparently electrocuted while cleaning a boat in the latest death to hit Singapore's beleaguered shipyard industry, news reports said on Tuesday.
The 20-year-old man was part of a team washing a ship's hull with a high-powered jet at DryDocks World Singapore when he fainted while shifting a powerful spotlight, The Straits Times reported.
The death Friday night was the eighth in the industry since June 8 and the third serious accident at DryDocks World in six weeks, the dpa reported.
Investigations are ongoing. The Ministry of Manpower said the death was likely due to electric shock.
DryDocks World Singapore is part of a Dubai-based conglomerate.
The ministry has ordered DryDocks to stop using electrical equipment until it has been inspected and certified safe.
S Krishnakumar, DryDocks commercial director, said safety briefings now take place daily in the native languages of the workers - Hindi, Bangladeshi and Thai.
"We're not paying lip service to safety," he was quoted as saying. "We don't take it lightly."