Prosecutor General's Office talks total damage following Armenia’s attack
BAKU, Azerbaijan, Sept. 29
The leadership of Armenia continues to commit acts of aggression against Azerbaijani civilian population, grossly violating the norms and principles of international law, the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office told Trend on Sept. 29.
Some 33 injured civilians have been hospitalized on September 29. As a result of the Armenian armed forces’ shelling of the civilian facilities, 65 residential buildings and five other civilian facilities have been damaged.
"The densely populated territories and civilian facilities were shelled again by the Armenian armed forces," the Prosecutor General's Office said. "A shell hit the first-aid post in the village. We regret that 23-year-old-resident of Garadaghli village of Aghdam district Elmaddin Saryev was killed as a result of the incident at about 13:00 (GMT+4) on September 29. The building of the first-aid post was also destroyed."
A criminal case was initiated in the Aghdam District Prosecutor's Office upon the Articles 120.2.1 (premeditated murder committed by a criminal organization or community), 120.2.4 (premeditated murder committed with special cruelty or through a generally dangerous method), 120.2.12 (premeditated murder on the basis of national, racial, religious hatred or enmity), 100.2 (launching an aggressive war), 186.3 (deliberate destruction or damage of the property, resulting in large-scale damage) and others.
Presently, the employees of the Azerbaijani General Prosecutor's Office are carrying out all possible investigative actions in combat conditions, as well as arrange the appropriate expertise to determine the severity of injuries of local residents and the amount of damage caused to the civilian infrastructure.
The Azerbaijani General Prosecutor's Office is taking the necessary measures to bring to account the Armenian servicemen within the international law who have committed various crimes.
Armenian armed forces launched a large-scale military attack on positions of Azerbaijani army on the front line, using large-caliber weapons, mortars and artillery on Sept. 27.
Azerbaijan responded with a counter-offensive along the entire front. As a result of retaliation, Azerbaijani troops managed to liberate the territories previously occupied by Armenia: Garakhanbeyli, Garvend, Kend Horadiz, Yukhari, Ashagi Abdulrahmanli villages (Fuzuli district), Boyuk Marjanli, and Nuzgar villages (Jabrayil district).
Moreover, the positions of the Armenian armed forces were destroyed in the direction of Azerbaijan's Agdere district and Murovdag, important heights were taken under control.
Military actions continued on Sept. 29. Azerbaijani army was able to destroy several tanks of the Armenian Armed Forces, as well as several key military facilities.
Azerbaijan's Dashkesan district underwent fire on the same day from the opposing forces, while Azerbaijani Armed Forces continued military actions on Sept. 29 to liberate the city of Fuzuli from occupation.
Back in July 2020, Armenian Armed Forces violated the ceasefire in the direction of Azerbaijan's Tovuz district. As a result of Azerbaijan's retaliation, the opposing forces were silenced. The fighting continued the following days as well. Azerbaijan lost a number of military personnel members, who died fighting off the attacks of the Armenian armed forces.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the withdrawal of its armed forces from Nagorno Karabakh and the surrounding districts.