Iran’s parliament urges government to sue US for confiscating $2B
Tehran, Iran, May 10
By Mehdi Sepahvand - Trend:
Iran's Foreign Ministry should take the US larceny of Iranian assets to The Hague, said Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani, referring to the recent confiscation of $2 billion of Iranian assets by a US court.
Larijani also required Iran's Supreme National Security Council to pursue the case, Fars news agency reported May 10.
On Apr. 20, the US court ruled that the money had to be turned over to the families of the American victims of a 1983 bombing in the Lebanese capital of Beirut, and other attacks blamed on Iran. The Islamic Republic has denied any role in the attacks.
The money confiscated through the verdict belongs to the Central Bank of Iran (CBI). The assets have been previously blocked under the US sanctions.
"The US larceny of the Iranian assets goes against all the international rules and resembles the behavior of highwaymen," said Larijani.
He also expressed surprise at how the Congress stepped in to authorize the court ruling at a time when the regular US laws would not allow it.
"This impudent act of the US should not be left unanswered," he said.