Azerbaijan, Baku, Dec 20 / Trend E. Kosolapova/
No foreign journalist is detained in Kazakh Mangistau region, Foreign Ministry's spokesman Kazakhstan Altai Abibullayev said at a briefing in Aktau, KAZINFORM reported.
"So far, no foreign journalist has been detained in Mangistau region... All journalists carry out professional activities independently within the established law," Abibullayev said.
Earlier some western media outlets reported about arrests of foreign journalists in Kazakhstan.
According to Abibullayev, local authorities provide journalists with all necessary assistance: escort, protection and transportation.
"The government is interested in open and transparent investigation," Abibullayev added.
On Friday mass riots took place in the Kazakh oil town of Zhanaozen in the Mangistau region which killed 14 and injured about 90 people. President Nursultan Nazarbayev signed a decree to impose a state of emergency in the area from Saturday. According to the Prosecutor General's Office, situation in the Zhanaozen city is gradually stabilizing.
On Dec.17 a group of people blocked the movement of the Mangyshlak-Aktobe passenger train at Shetpe railway station in the Mangistau region. According to spokesman for the prosecutor general's office Nurdaulet Suindikov, the group that blocked the train chanted slogans supporting the rioters in Zhanaozen. As a result there was an hour long delay to several passenger and nine freight trains, 11 people were injured, while one died.
Disorders have been observed in Mangistau region's center Aktau since Dec.18 up to present time.