Mubarak's trial moved to outside Cairo
The trial of former Egyptian president Hosny Mubarak, originally planned to be held in eastern Cairo on Wednesday, will be moved to outside the Egyptian capital, Justice Minister Mohamed Abdel Aziz al-Guindy said in remarks published Saturday, reported dpa.
"A final decision has been made that the trial will not be held in a hall in the area of Nasr City because it will be hard to secure the place," he told the semi-official newspaper Al-Ahram.
He added that the trial would instead be held at the Police Academy on the outskirts of Cairo, starting Wednesday.
Mubarak, his two sons, ex-interior minister Habib al-Adli and six senior policemen are to face charges of ordering the killing of anti-government protesters earlier this year.
At least 846 people were killed and more than 6,000 injured in the crackdown during a revolt that eventually ousted Mubarak in February, according to a fact-finding commission.
The 83-year-old Mubarak has not been seen in public since. He was undergoing treatment at a hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh since April 13, when he reportedly suffered a heart attack.
Mubarak's sons, Alaa and Gamal, are being held at a prison in Cairo.