...

5 ISAF soldiers, 2 Afghan police killed in Afghan violence (UPDATE)

Other News Materials 13 July 2011 16:50
At least five NATO-led soldiers and two Afghan police were killed Wednesday in separate incidents in Afghanistan, officials said.
5 ISAF soldiers, 2 Afghan police killed in Afghan violence (UPDATE)

previous news was posted at 15:34

At least five NATO-led soldiers and two Afghan police were killed Wednesday in separate incidents in Afghanistan, officials said, DPA reported.

"An insurgent attack in eastern Afghanistan has resulted in the deaths of 5 ISAF service members," said Major Tim James, a spokesman with NATO-led International Security Assistance Force.

The incident took place in Kapisa province, north of Kabul, where French soldiers are based.

"According to our operational reports, there was a rocket attack and a suicide bomber might also have been involved," James said, noting that there were a number of civilian casualties as well.

Abdul Hakim, the district governor of Tagab district in Kapisa, said two Afghan civilians and a policeman were among the injured.

The report of deaths comes only a day after French President Nicolas Sarkozy visited Afghanistan where he announced the withdrawal of 1,000 troops by the end of 2012.

Elsewhere, a roadside bomb killed two policemen in eastern province, bordering Pakistan.

"At 10.30 in the morning, a roadside bomb struck when a border police vehicle was passing by. Two policemen were killed and five others were injured in the incident," Ahmadzia Abdulzai, governor's spokesman, said.

There were no civilian casualties, he said.

The incident took place in Laliband village of the Lalpur district in eastern Nangarhar province.

Meanwhile, a suicide bomber with vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (IED) attacked an army base in central Wardak province.

"There were some ISAF casualties. Civilians were also hurt in the incident," NATO's James said, without elaborating.

The suicide bomber driving the vehicle was killed.

Shahidullah Shahid, the governor's spokesman confirmed the incident saying a suicide bomber detonated explosives in front of an army base in Sayeed Abad district of Wardak province.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for all three incidents.

Taliban insurgents, who have been waging a bloody decade-long war against international and Afghan forces, have stepped up their attacks on Afghan security forces and foreign troops since the start of their spring offensive from May 1.

At least 300 foreign soldiers have been killed so far this year in the Taliban war. Afghan forces are due to take over security responsibilities starting this month in a process that will end in 2014.

Tags:
Latest

Latest