The United States has received an official invitation from Moscow to take part in the Astana meeting on Syria, US State Department spokesman John Kirby announced in a briefing on Thursday, Sputnik reported.
However, the spokesperson said that the decision is to be taken by the incoming administration of President-elect Donald Trump.
"Our Embassy in Moscow did receive an invitation delivered to them from the Russian Foreign ministry which they duly passed to us," Kirby said. "So we are aware that there is an actual invitation for the US to participate. But so far as I know, no decision has been made."
Acting US Secretary of State Tom Shannon will likely consult President-elect Donald Trump’s administration on whether or not to attend the intra-Syrian peace talks in Astana, Kazakhstan, US Department of State spokesman John Kirby said in a briefing on Thursday.
"I am sure that Ambassador Shannon will consult appropriately with the new White House about what they would like to do," Kirby stated when asked about attending the Astana talks.