Bomb blast kills 3 Afghan civilians
At least three civilians have been killed and one injured in a roadside bomb blast in Afghanistan's southern Uruzgan province, a NATO statement says.
According to the international coalition force, the incident took place in Gizab district on Saturday when the bomb targeted a car carrying the civilians, a Press TV correspondent reported.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, which also destroyed the vehicle carrying the victims.
Violence has escalated in the war-torn Afghanistan in recent months with militants staging frequent attacks on US-led foreign troops, government officials, as well as civilians.
Afghan civilian casualties were at record levels in 2010. The number of civilians killed or wounded in the Afghan war increased by 20 percent during the first 10 months of 2010, compared with the same period last year.
The Afghan Interior Ministry says 2010 has been the deadliest year for civilians since the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001.
It added that more than 2,000 civilians lost their lives in violence across war-wrecked Afghanistan last year.
Afghans also blame foreign troops and their military operations for the civilian deaths. The rising number of civilian casualties has increased anti-US sentiments in the troubled region.
The surge in violence comes despite the presence of 150,000 US-led troops that are supposedly engaged in efforts to end terror attacks and bring stability to the war-ravaged country.