Norway's chief of police said Monday the death toll following last week's shootings on an island near Oslo could be lowered from the current tally of 86.
Oystein Maeland did not give a new number in the interview with public broadcaster NRK, but he said his information was based on a new count after the last remains were transported to the mainland on Sunday.
Police were scheduled to give a briefing later Monday on the results of the continuing search in the waters off the island and a new search of the Utoya island, some 40 kilometres from Oslo.
Early Saturday, Maeland said the number of killed in Friday's shooting spree was around 80 based on initial counts. The number was subsequently raised as police searched the island for victims.
Anders Behring Breivik, 32, has been charged in connection with the shooting and a bomb explosion in Oslo that claimed seven lives