...

Libya dismisses Gaddafi arrest bid

Arab World Materials 17 May 2011 11:45
The Libyan government dismissed on Monday the UN war crimes court's arrest warrant against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.
Libya dismisses Gaddafi arrest bid

The Libyan government dismissed on Monday the UN war crimes court's arrest warrant against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, Xinhua reported.

Government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim said in a statement that the International Criminal Court (ICC) was "dependent on media reports to evaluate the situation in Libya."

The ICC has thus "reached incoherent conclusions," he said.

The Libyan government has never "ordered the killing of civilians or hired mercenaries against our people," he said, calling on the international community to make on-the-spot investigations.

Earlier on Monday, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, chief ICC prosecutor, requested the ICC issue arrest warrants for Gaddafi, his second-oldest son Seif al-Islam and his intelligence chief and brother-in-law Abdullah al-Senussi over crimes against humanity in Libya.

Evidence showed that Gaddafi had ordered attacks on innocent civilians, the ICC prosecutor said in The Hague, where the ICC is based.

Tags:
Latest

Latest