Ankara reveals new strategy toward EU bid
(Cihan) - Turkish government will respond to the European Union's (EU) suspension of accession talks with Turkey with its own strategy. The government will start to realize the regulations required for the unopened chapters of the membership negotiations as of 2007.
"If the goal is to reach European standards, then we will do it ourselves without they (the EU) ask for" said Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul on Monday revealing Ankara's new strategy, reports Trend.
Even if chapters of accession talks are not opened at the EU level, the improvement required for the chapters will continue in Turkey.
Priority will be on the chapters the bloc already decided to negotiate on. The priority in the remaining chapters will be on the criteria initially required for the opening of the chapters.
On December 15, EU leaders decided to suspend eight chapters of accession talks with Turkey but they said talks should move forward in other areas.
The decision was a sanction because of Turkey's refusal to open its ports and airports to traffic from EU member Greek Cyprus despite signing the additional protocol of customs union agreement with the EU, extending it to 10 new EU members including Greek Cyprus, which Turkey does not recognize.
Last week, Greek Cypriot wishes were once more granted and only one chapter, "business and industrial policy", was decided to be opened before the end of the year although Turkey and its supporters in the EU were expecting at least four chapters to be opened.