...

Norway attacks suspect showed "no emotion" over 77 dead

Other News Materials 30 July 2011 11:32
The man suspected in last week's twin terrorist attacks showed "no emotion" when police told him they claimed 77 lives, his attorney said Saturday.
Norway attacks suspect showed "no emotion" over 77 dead

The man suspected in last week's twin terrorist attacks showed "no emotion" when police told him they claimed 77 lives, his attorney said Saturday, dpa reported.

Suspect Anders Behring Breivik was Friday informed of the death toll in the July 22 attacks when he was brought to police headquarters for an interview, attorney Geir Lippestad told Oslo daily VG.

During the interview Breivik asked police about the death toll.

"I couldn't see any reaction at all," Lippestad said of Breivik's reaction. "I could not see a smile and I could not see signs of remorse," he added.

The attorney earlier said that during his meetings with Breivik he had avoided mentioning the death toll, stating only that the tally was high.

Breivik was remanded in custody Monday, charged with the July 22 bombing in the capital Oslo that killed eight people, and the subsequent shooting spree on nearby Utoya island that killed 69.

Other alleged targets were the royal palace and the Labour Party headquarters in Oslo, police sources were quoted as telling VG.

The palace was selected for its symbolic role, and Breivik had not specifically targeted the royal family , the report said.

Lippsetad on Friday told daily Aftenposten that his client had planned two other attacks but did not offer specifics.

Oslo police chief of staff Johan Fredriksen told reporters Friday that 10 locations had been checked without any signs of explosives.

Friday's interview at police headquarters focused on reviewing the transcript from Breivik's first interview, which ran to around 50 pages.

According to his attorney a new interview is due next week. Police prosecutor Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby on Friday said that "for security reasons" police would not offer details of when future interviews with Breivik would be held.

The Norwegian security service PST late Friday issued a statement on the attacks stating they "did not constitute a heightened threat from known right-wing or left-extremist groups in Norway."

It said copy-cat crimes were a potential risk, but that so far it appeared that "the perpetrator most likely planned and carried out his attacks alone."

Latest

Latest