Cargo deliveries in Azerbaijan Increase 1.5 Times over Last 5 Years

Business Materials 16 February 2007 18:18 (UTC +04:00)

According to the State Statistics Committee of Azerbaijan, in January 2007 the Azerbaijan transport sector carried 12.2 million tons of various cargos, up 16.9% more than 2006, Trend reports.

63.4% of the total cargo deliveries fell on the private sector. In this period, 48.5% of cargo was transported by motor transport, 24.7% via pipelines, including 13.2% via the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline, 19.8% by railway and 7% by shipping.

Passenger transport carried 87.3 million people during this period, or 6.1% more than in 2006. 83.7% of all passengers were transported by private sector. Passenger transportation by automobiles constituted 83.8% of all passengers and metro вЂ" 15.5%.

Rail transportation carried 2.4mln tons of cargo, or 11.2% more than 2006.
Marine transport carried 851,600 tons of cargos, down 18.6% as compared to 2006. 61.1% of transported cargo fell for oil products and oil, while the rest 38.9% on dry cargo. 100% of cargo transportation fell on international operations.

Amount of cargos re-produced in Azerbaijani ports in this period made 418,400 tons, or 30% more than 2006. 88.2% of the total cargo was transit cargo, which demonstrated 25.5%-drop. Alongside, export cargo fell 57.4% and import cargo вЂ" 47.1%.

5.9mln tons of cargo was transported by automobiles, which is 6.9% more than 2005. The passenger transportation made up 73.2mln men (rose 8.1%).

In this period passenger transportation by metro rose by 8.6% and made up 13.5 million people. Incomes from the passenger transportation made up 653,000 manats, or 10.5% more than 2006.

Passenger transportation via airways grew by 8.3% and made up 102,900 people. 5.3% of entire transportation was implemented by private sector.

In 2006, 48.8mln tons of cargo has been transported via the Eurasian corridor, which exceeded the last year figure by 4.4%. Over the past 5 years the figure rose 1.5 times.