The Libyan National Army, led by renegade General Khalifa Haftar, has called on all armed militiamen in Benghazi to give up their weapons and respect the state, in a statement made on Tuesday.
Spokesperson Colonel Mohammad al-Hejazi said that the terrorists, takfirists and criminals had gathered in the city of Benghazi, after travelling from across the world, Al Arabiya reported.
Haftar's "Operation Dignity" is being exercised to liberate Libya from terrorism, the spokesman said as armed militias battle to take control of Benghazi's civilian and military airport from forces allied to Moammar Qaddafi-era General Haftar.
Haftar declared Operation Dignity earlier this year in a push to clear the country of Islamist militias.
Meanwhile, Human Rights Watch said on Monday that Libyan militia forces battling for control of Tripoli and surrounding areas have engaged in attacks on civilians and civilian property that in some cases amount to war crimes.