U.S calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to peacefully resolve Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
Baku, Azerbaijan, May 3
By Sabina Ahmadova - Trend:
The U.S calls on both Armenia and Azerbaijan to take serious steps to peacefully resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, the U.S embassy in Azerbaijan told Trend.
The U.S. Government remains fully committed to this effort, according to the embassy.
The embassy was commenting on Baku's statement on withdrawing U.S diplomat James Warlick from the co-chairmanship in the OSCE Minsk Group.
"The United States Government disagrees with Deputy Foreign Minister Azimov's assessment," the embassy's statement said.
It should be noted that Araz Azimov has said earlier that Azerbaijan may raise the issue of withdrawing U.S co-chairman James Warlick from the co-chairmanship in the OSCE Minsk Group.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
The two countries signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia, France and the U.S. are currently holding peace negotiations.
Armenia has not yet implemented the U.N. Security Council's four resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions.
Translated by NH
Edited by S.I.