BAKU, Azerbaijan, June 3. Azerbaijani Ombudsperson Sabina Aliyeva has issued statement in connection with mass grave discovered in Azerbaijan's Shusha, Trend reports.
"Another proof of the murders and mass graves of people during the period of the Armenian occupation of the territories of Azerbaijan was discovered today in Shusha city. According to preliminary data, the remains of at least four people were found in the burial discovered today," Aliyeva said in the statement.
"One of the features is that the mass grave was discovered on the territory of Shusha prison. This fact once again confirmed the testimonies of witnesses that the Azerbaijanis, who were illegally detained by Armenians in the Shusha prison, were subjected to terrible torture and inhuman treatment," the ombudsperson noted.
"Unfortunately, the number of facts of crimes committed by Armenia in violation of the requirements of international humanitarian law is not limited to this," she said.
According to the statement, in connection with the previously identified mass grave sites in the territories liberated from occupation, the Ombudsperson sent appeals to the international community, prepared a separate report on the results of studies at the burial site, found in Edilli village (Khojavand district).
"The discovery of mass graves in the liberated territories is another proof of the policy of genocide and ethnic cleansing of Armenia against Azerbaijanis. At the same time, Armenia's failure to provide information about the fate of about 4,000 Azerbaijanis who went missing during the first Karabakh war has caused deep suffering for the families of these people for many years," Aliyeva emphasized.
"The Armenian side also evades providing information about mass grave sites. As the Ombudsman of Azerbaijan, I once again call on the international community to take the necessary measures against Armenia in connection with these circumstances, which prove its gross violation of international law, human rights and freedoms, and to provide support to Azerbaijan in connection with obtaining information about the fate of our missing compatriots", she concluded.
The search for the remains of persons who went missing during the first Karabakh war began after the liberation of Azerbaijani lands from the Armenian occupation.
Over the past period, the remains of more than 400 Azerbaijanis have been found in Dashalty village (Shusha district), Edilli village (Khojavand district), Farrukh village (Khojaly district), Yukhari Seyidahmadli village (Fuzuli district), Kalbajar, Aghdam and other settlements.