Robert Simmons: Security of Energy Carriers Supplies Key Issues Discussed with Azerbaijan
An exclusive interview of Trend Correspondent to Astana with Robert Simmons, the Special Representative of the NATO Secretary General for Central Asia and South Caucasus:
- What are perspectives of development of cooperation between Azerbaijan and NATO within the NATO Individual Partnership Plan for 2007?
- We have established very friendly, and even dare I say excellent relations with Azerbaijan. We have concluded the Individual Partnership Plan with Azerbaijan that covers a wide spectrum of issues. The major orientation we would like to discuss with Azerbaijan is ensuring the security of energy carrier's supplies, including the issue on the project on oil carrying via BTC (Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan Pipeline). We discussed the above-mentioned during the last NATO Summit held in Riga, and did not anticipate taking any concrete measures. However, we would like to hold negotiations on broader issues in this field.
- Have you determined the date when you will pay a visit to Azerbaijan?
- Yes, we have done. We are going to visit Azerbaijan in the near future. We regularly visit Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan.
- Georgia and NATO Turned to intensive cooperation. What will your plans be with Azerbaijan?
- Azerbaijan has made neither statement nor application on this issue to date. We have not discussed this issue, however if Azerbaijan likes, then we shall certainly view its application.