Egypt Prime Minister
Essam Sharaf ordered all police officers accused of killing protesters to be sacked, as part of a series of measures aimed at quelling demonstrators who began an open-ended sit-in in Cairo and other big cities, dpa reported.
In an address on state television, Sharaf said that he issued direct orders to the interior minister to stop all those officers from working. He also said judges on cases of former officials, most of whom are accused of involvement in killing protesters or graft and corruption, will not work on other cases to ensure speedy trials.
Thousands gathered in main squares of different cities, while others said they began a hunger strike, and were threatening further action unless the country's military rulers expedite the prosecution of former government officials.
The protesters are disappointed at the slow pace of judicial proceedings against former president Hosny Mubarak and policemen accused of killing protesters during the 18-day uprising that led to Mubarak's ouster.
At least 846 people were killed in the uprising and more than 6,000 injured, leaving many with peramanet disabilities.
Earlier on Saturday, Interior Minister Mansour al-Essawi sacked the security chief in Suez, a restive city east of Cairo, for alleged involvement in aiding the escape of colleagues charged with killing protesters.
Suez has been the scene of violent clashes between police and families of slain protesters in the past few days.
"We give the country's rulers until Sunday night to declare public, real and swift trials for the officials of the toppled regime and the killers of martyrs," the Second Revolution of Rage protest group said on its Facebook page.
"If not, there will be further measures, including a call for civil disobedience," the group wrote.
An activist of the April 6 campaign group went on hunger strike in Alexandria, Egypt's second biggest city, to protest what the group considers the authorities' disregard of the "revolution's demands."
Other activists in Cairo and the coastal city of Port Said announced plans to go on hunger strike if their demands were not met.
On Friday, Egypt saw mass nationwide protests demanding that former officials - believed to be implicated in a deadly crackdown on demonstrators during the anti-Mubarak revolt - be tried quickly and in public.