Uzbekistan eyes to increase share of renewable energy sources by 2030

Oil&Gas Materials 24 November 2020 18:22 (UTC +04:00)
Uzbekistan eyes to increase share of renewable energy sources by 2030

BAKU, Azerbaijan, Nov. 24

By Klavdiya Romakayeva - Trend:

The construction and further operation of wind farms in Uzbekistan will attract foreign direct investment in the project in the amount of more than $600 million, Trend reports referring to Ministry of Energy of Uzbekistan.

Currently, the share of renewable energy sources (RES) in Uzbekistan amounts to only 10 percent of the total generated electricity, the remaining 90 percent fall on traditional sources and it is planned to increase the share of renewable energy sources to 25 percent by 2030.

Large-scale work is underway to introduce technologies and practical use of such priority types of renewable energy sources as wind and solar energy for the development of new areas of electricity generation in the country.

National Power Grids of Uzbekistan JSC, Ministry of Investment and Foreign Trade of Uzbekistan and Masdar Company in the United Arab Emirates in June 2020 signed an agreement on the purchase of electricity and an investment agreement according to which the Emirati company will provide design, financing, construction and operation of a wind power plant (WPP) in the Navoi region in Uzbekistan.

This project is the second major project implemented by Masdar in Uzbekistan. In October last year, it won a tender for the construction of a 100 MW solar power plant in the Navoi region on the basis of a public-private partnership.

The commissioning of the power plant will also diversify and strengthen the country's energy balance by generating affordable and cheap electricity in the amount of 1.8 GWh per year, which is equivalent to the consumption of more than 500,000 households.

Construction work is planned to begin by the end of 2021 with the commissioning of the first stage of generating capacities (up to 250 MW) in April 2023 and all capacities by the end of 2024.

Masdar installed four meteorological masts in September this year to study the wind potential in the Tamdynsky region. This became the next stage in the implementation of the project for the construction of a wind farm with a capacity of 500 MW in the Navoi region.

Masdar is a subsidiary of the Mubadala Investment Company of the government of Abu Dhabi and one of the leading international renewable energy companies in the world. The portfolio of completed investment projects of the company includes over 4,000 MW of installed capacity for generating electricity from renewable sources.


Follow the author on Twitter: @romakayeva