Italian police on Saturday cordoned off an area in the ancient Roman city of Pompeii where a wall is believed to have collapsed the previous night, news reports said.
The wall was situated near the Porta di Nola entrance of the 2,000 year-old archaeological site, the ANSA news agency reported.
Three cubic metres of rubble were all that was left of the wall which officials believe collapsed on Friday night, ANSA said.
Late last year, several walls and buildings collapsed at the site. One of these was a frescoed house where gladiators once prepared for combat, the Schola Armaturarum, DPA reported.
Italy's minister of culture at the time, Sandro Bondi, subsequently resigned after coming under fire for alleged negligence in safeguarding Italy's archaeological treasures, including Pompeii.
Once a prosperous Roman city, Pompeii was destroyed in 79 AD by an eruption of Mount Vesuvius that killed thousands of people and buried the city in six metres of volcanic ash.