Istanbul terror attack committed by Syrian citizen – Erdogan
Baku, Azerbaijan, Jan. 12
By Rufiz Hafizoglu - Trend:
The terrorist attack in Istanbul was carried out by a Syrian citizen, TRT Haber news channel quoted Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as saying Jan. 12.
Erdogan further said all the countries must unite in the fight against terrorism, adding the terrorist attack in Istanbul is a clear proof of that.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu tweeted Jan. 12 that the explosion in Istanbul was a terrorist attack.
The explosion at Sultanahmet Square in Istanbul on Jan. 12 killed 10 and injured 15 people, according to preliminary reports.
It was reported that a suicide bomber blew himself up near the central mosque when tourists were passing by.
Earlier, it was reported that as many as 450 Turkish citizens joined the terrorist group "Islamic State" (aka IS, ISIS or ISIL) in Syria in 2015.
It was also reported that according to the country's intelligence service, 100 people from those who joined the IS in Syria learned how to make bombs.
Turkey's intelligence service also has information that the citizens of the country, who underwent a training with the IS militants, intend to return to Turkey to prepare terrorist attacks there.
Earlier, two suicide bombers, who planned terrorist attacks during the New Year celebrations, were arrested in Ankara, late December 2015.
On Oct. 10, 2015, some 97 people were killed and over 240 people were injured as a result of a terrorist attack in Ankara. According to the Turkish National Intelligence Organization, the IS carried out that terrorist attack.
Previously, the Turkish National Intelligence Organization warned of the possibility of other terrorist attacks in the country.
"Some 20 more suicide bombers are preparing to carry out terrorist attacks in different cities in Turkey," said the National Intelligence Organization.
Follow the author on Twitter: @rhafizoglu