France, Strasbourg, June 24 / Trend A. Maharramli /
Armenia continues to back a nonconstructive position on the question of reopening the Nagorno-Karabakh Subcommittee, head of the Azerbaijani Delegation to PACE Samad Seyidov said.
The issue of reopening the subcommittee's activity is being discussed at the PACE summer session, which began June 21. The Armenian Delegation to PACE opposes its reopening.
The subcommittee was suspended last year after the death of its head, Lord Russell Johnston.
However, Seyidov said the subcommittee continues to exist despite Armenia's attempts to stall the its further activities.
"Why do I say this?" he asked. "Because Nagorno Karabakh is discussed at each PACE session. Even if the subcommittee is abolished, the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will be discussed."
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. Armenian armed forces have occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan since 1992, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts. Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994.
The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group - Russia, France, and the United States - are currently holding the peace negotiations.
Armenia has not yet implemented the U.N. Security Council's resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh region and the occupied territories.