Media and the public will be barred from the custody hearing of the suspect in last week's attacks in Norway which claimed at least 93 lives,
Oslo district court ruled Monday, dpa reported.
Judge Kim Heger said a public hearing would constitute "an exceptional and even more difficult situation for the ongoing investigation and security."
The custody hearing was to start at 1pm (1100 GMT).
Anders Behring Breivik, 32, has been charged in connection with the bombing in Oslo's government district on Friday that killed at least seven and the shooting that left at least 86 people dead, according to current official death toll, at a youth camp on nearby Utoya island the same day.
Breivik himself had wanted the custody hearing to be public, according to his attorney Geir Lippestad.
In a manifesto written before the attacks Breivik had said a court appearance would give him a propaganda platform to further disseminate his views.
Scores of reporters were crowded outside the court.