Famers in Iran purchase 32,000 tons of tea leaves

Business Materials 16 May 2019 14:27 (UTC +04:00)

Baku, Azerbaijan, May 16

By Elnur Baghishov - Trend:

Since the beginning of tea harvest in Iran, 32,000 tons of tea leaves worth $1 trillion rials ($23.8 million in official exchange rate and $6.75 million in black market rate) have been purchased from tea growers, Iran’s Tea Organization Chairman Habib Jahansaz said, Trend reports via the Young Journalists Club (YJC).

He said that 99 percent of the purchased tea leaves accounts for first grade tea, and 1 percent accounts for the second grade tea.

He added that 26 percent of money was paid to tea growers and expressed hope that the main amount of money will be paid to them by the end of May.

‘So far, 5,000-6,000 tons of dry tea leaves of the purchased volume have been processed,” he said.

He noted that 115,000-120,000 tons of tea leaves are expected to be purchased this year.

Noting that 26-27 percent of tea consumption this Iranian year (started March 21, 2019) will be ensured by the domestic production, he said that 60,000-70,000 tons of tea are imported every year.