Whatever happened to Iran's "lost" oil platform?
Baku, Azerbaijan, Mar. 11
By Elnur Baghishov – Trend:
The court gave a ruling on the criminal case on Iran's "lost" oil platform, an official at Tehran Prosecutor's Office told Fars News Agency, Trend reports.
The prosecutor's office said the criminal case has 6 defendants.
"Three of the defendants are in court, and three of them are abroad," he said.
The official from the prosecutor's office said that 2 of the 3 defendants currently abroad are Iranian, and one is the executive director of a Jordanian company.
It was stated earlier that the cost of this platform was $78 million. It was later established that, in addition to the oil platform, another vessel was "lost" as well. The overall worth of all of the lost equipment made up $121 million.
On June 26, 2012, Iran Offshore Engineering and Construction Company and the UAE’s Dean International Trading S.A signed a $87-million deal, according to which the excavation platform of 1984 issue would be purchased from an Argentinian company. In 2015, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh disclosed that, although the contractual amount was paid, the platform was not brought to Iran.