Suicide attack against coalition troops kills Afghan child
(dpa) - A suicide car bomb targeted a convoy of US-led coalition troops in south-eastern Afghanistan, killing an Afghan child and wounding five people including an international soldier, officials said on Saturday.
The attack took place in the Mandozai district of Khost province on Saturday morning, when a bomber rammed his explosive-filled vehicle into a convoy of international forces on the highway between the capital of the province and the district, Mohammad Ayoub, provincial police chief, said.
"A 13-year-old child was killed and four other people were wounded in the attack," Ayoub told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa by phone.
A US-led military spokesman in Bagram, the main US military base in Afghanistan, confirmed the attack and said one international soldier was wounded in the incident near the border with Pakistan.
The nationality of the soldier was not disclosed.
The attack in Khost province came two days after another suicide attack against coalition forces in the capital Kabul on Thursday killed six civilians and wounded around two dozen, including four coalition soldiers.
Taliban militants have recently begun to rely on suicide and roadside bombings to strike Afghan and international forces. The group carried out more than 140 suicide attacks last year, a record since the Taliban regime was ousted from power in late 2001 in a US-led offensive.